Frequently Asked Questions
If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Maria College and we would be glad to assist you.
Office Of Admissions
How do I apply?
Applying to Maria College is easy. It is recommended that you apply online, but you can also download our paper application, or request that we send you an application in the mail. For more information visit our admissions
Where is Maria located? Can I schedule a visit?
Maria College’s small, picturesque campus is located in the Capital District just minutes from shopping, dining and entertainment, view our Visit Campus page.
When is the admissions application deadline?
Maria College has a rolling admission policy, which means that students can be admitted until the start of their desired semester. Please be aware that space is limited in our Nursing and Occupational Therapy Assistant Programs. Students interested in these programs are encouraged to complete their application early.
What else is needed to complete the admission application process?
The requirements for admission are based upon the type of application you are completing and the program you are interested in. Here are some links that can help you:
The following links will provide you with specific details for certain academic admission requirements:
- Prospective Certificate Program Student
- Prospective Associate Degree in Nursing Students
- Prospective Bachelor Degree in Nursing Students
What high school grades do I need to get accepted?
At Maria College we review each candidate as an individual. There is no minimum required high school average. Ideally, students should have at least in 80 high school average or better if they are interested in our Nursing Programs.
What SAT scores do I need to get accepted?
There is no minimum required SAT score, but students who score below a 480 on the Critical Reading or below a 490 on the Math section will be required to take our Placement Test.
What ACT scores do I need to get accepted?
There is no minimum required ACT score.
What if I never took the SAT or ACT exam?
- The SAT or ACT exam is an admission requirement for a current high school student. However, if you have not taken the SAT or ACT exam, especially for those students who are not in high school, our Placement Test will substitute for the SAT or ACT.
- Students with previous college experiences are not required to take the SAT or ACT.
How do I request my SAT/ACT scores to be sent to Maria College?
- To request your SAT scores, you will need to sign on to www.collegeboard.com and request to have your scores sent to Maria College.
- Most high schools will include the SAT scores on their transcript.
- To request your ACT scores, you will need to log in to www.actstudent.org and request to have your scores sent to Maria College.
- Most high schools will include the ACT scores on their transcript.
How do I request my GED transcript to be sent to Maria College?
- You may bring in your original GED, but it is preferred that you please contact the agency that you complete your GED through to have a copy sent to the College.
- New York State residents can find specific instructions on how to request their GED at: http://www.acces.nysed.gov/ged/diplomas_transcripts.html
My final high school transcript is not available yet. What should I do?
If you are still in high school, please have your most recent high school transcript sent to us at the time of your application. Then once you graduate, you will need to request that a final transcript be sent to Maria College
Do you accept Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate credit?
Yes, Maria College recognizes college-level courses taken by students while they are still attending high school.
- To provide your AP credit, you will need to sign in to www.collegeboard.com and request to have your scores sent to Maria College.
- To recognize courses taken at a college while in high school, you will need to request that the college that you attended or received the credit from send us an official transcript.
After I’ve sent my application, about how long will it take for me to get an admission decision?
You should be notified of an admission decision within 2 to 3 weeks after we receive ALL of your required documents for admission.
Are there spots still available for my program?
Maria College has a rolling admission policy which means that students can be admitted until the start of their desired semester. However, please be aware that space is limited in our Nursing and Occupational Therapy Assistant Programs. Students interested in these programs are encouraged to complete their application early. Please contact the admission office to determine your best course of action.
What is the TEAS?
The Teaching of Essential Academic Skills test (TEAS VI) is a multiple-choice assessment of basic academic knowledge in reading, mathematics, science and English and language usage. Any applicant to the Associate’s Degree in Nursing or Practical Nursing Certificate program must achieve passing scores on the TEAS VI test prior to intended admission semester.
Are interviews a part of the admissions process at Maria College?
It is recommended that every application have an interview with an Admission Counselor.
Is housing available to students at Maria College?
Maria College currently does not offer on-campus housing, but we are willing to assist you in finding an off-campus apartment if you plan on enrolling at Maria and live outside of the Capital District
What happens on Application Acceptance Days? What should I bring with me?
Application Acceptance Days are an opportunity for you to complete the entire admission process in just a couple of hours and discuss your financial aid and plan of studies. They are held on Thursdays throughout the year. We encourage you to complete your application before attending, but if not you will be able to apply then.
How do I register for classes?
Once you are admitted to Maria College and pay your $100 or $200 enrollment deposit, you will then be eligible to register for classes. Registration occurs during our Orientation and Registration days held prior to the start of the semester. Please contact the Admission’s Office for more information.
What GPA do I need to transfer to Maria College?
At Maria College we review each candidate as an individual. There is no minimum required grade point average, but we do use a cumulative GPA from all of your previous colleges. Ideally, students should have a 2.3 cumulative GPA or better if they are interested in our Nursing Programs.
How many credits can I transfer in with at Maria College?
- Maria College requires that all students complete at least 36 credits toward their Associate’s Degree or 44 credits toward their Bachelor’s Degree at Maria College.
- We will accept all credit from regionally accredited schools where the grade was a C or better.
How do I know which credits will transfer?
- When you visit Maria College we will try to provide you with a preliminary or official evaluation of your credits.
- All students will be notified of how many credits Maria College will accept within a couple of weeks of being admitted to the college.
Can I transfer from Maria College to another school or a four-year school?
Maria College does have transfer agreements with various other colleges and universities.
What TOEFL scores do I need to be admitted?
The applicant must obtain a minimum score of 500 for paper-pencil test and 173 for computer-based test or a 61 on the TEOFL iBT to qualify for admission.
Where can I take the TOEFL?
Please visit the TOEFL website for information on the TOEFL.
How do I submit my foreign transcript to World Education Services (WES) for evaluation?
Please visit the WES website for step by step instruction on how to submit a comprehensive course by course evaluation report.
How do I get my I-20 visa?
Once you are admitted to Maria College and submit your $100 or $200 Enrollment Deposit, the I-20 process will begin. You will need to provide an affidavit of financial support that covers the total cost of attending Maria College, including living expenses, for an entire year. Once received, the I-20 is processed at Maria College and you will be notified of the next steps in which you must take with your home country.
Do I need to be a full-time student to get an I-20 visa?
Are international students eligible for financial aid?
An international student is not eligible for federal or state financial aid.