Domestic Violence Awareness
Albany County Crime Victim & Sexual Violence Center is holding a virtual film screening & discussion of the One Love Foundation’s short film, Amor Del Bueno.
It will be offered Thursday, October 22 at 7-8pm. View this flyer for more information.
You can sign up at https://forms.gle/cprmhs98ajoFHHxR6. Once you sign up via this form, you will be emailed the Zoom meeting information. Space is limited and will be first come, first served.
“Amor Del Bueno” is a riveting and relatable 15-minute film written and produced by two One Love Teen Ambassadors. The film portrays a high school-aged Latinx couple going through the ups and downs of an abusive relationship. The film is followed by a facilitated discussion meant to help participants explore the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationship behaviors.
Key themes addressed in the Amor Del Bueno Workshop include: recognizing healthy and unhealthy behaviors in a relationship, communicating boundaries, practicing consent, helping a friend, navigating breakups & practicing healthy behaviors, physical abuse, and cultural/social norms.
Breast Cancer Awareness
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Every year since 1985, breast cancer charities bring attention to the disease and raise funds to support breast cancer research. Part of the effort is to encourage early health screening and self-examination. According to an American Cancer Society’s 2019-2020 report, approximately 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, and 1 in 39 of those women will die from the disease. In 2019, the American Cancer Society predicted 41,760 women and 500 men would die from breast cancer.
Please see the resources below for more information on breast cancer in women and men, including self-examination instruction and opportunities to donate to breast cancer research.
- The C Word (2016). A documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman that examines those living with breast cancer and the societal changes needed to eradicate the disease. Streaming on Netflix.
- Tig (2015). Stand-up comedian Tig Notaro details her fight with breast cancer in this biographical documentary. Streaming on Netflix.
- In Her Words (2019). Movie drama about an African American woman whose life changes the moment the learns she has a cancerous lump in her breast. Streaming on Amazon Prime.
- Ma Ma (2015). Penelope Cruz plays a unemployed teacher diagnosed with breast cancer, leading to new bonds with her family and friends. Streaming on Hulu.
- American Cancer Society: This website is the homepage of the American Cancer Society, a national health organization focusing on curing cancer. Information on latest breast cancer research and treatment of the disease.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation: This foundation advocates for the education, support, and early detection of breast cancer, and includes links to self-examination.
- Male Breast Cancer: The Mayo Clinic provides an overview of breast cancer in men, including identifying symptoms and treatments.