Position Summary: The Assistant Registrar works with the Registrar and Associate Registrar in the general administration of all undergraduate student records. This position provides quality assistance to all students in relation to the Registrar’s Office. The Assistant Registrar serves an assigned group of students and has unique responsibilities within the office.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the Registrar Office’s initial point-of-contact for potential, current, and past students to address student needs received in the office, by phone, and via email, including registering students, helping students to add/drop/withdraw from classes and use the student information system. Fulfill all transcript requests received personally or through the College’s website; serve as primary contact for the third-party transcript request vendor in Assistant Reg absence. Provide verification of enrollment for current students for purposes of health insurance, loan deferment, credit reports, and scholarship applications; Provide degree verifications for alumni in conjunction with the National Student Clearinghouse. Provide former students with archived data relative to their academic records, including syllabi, course descriptions, and accreditation information.
Handle Registrar office email account correspondence, including responses to inquiries from students, faculty and other members of the academic community
- Answer telephone calls, return messages, and responds to questions and concerns of students, faculty, and the college community
- Organize and maintain student files utilizing various methods of maintenance including file drawers, scanned files, and disk/server files, etc. Scan student records as necessary. Basic filing and file review for accuracy.
- Answering phones, filing, greet and assist students along with members of the Maria community in person, over the phone and in email, assist with printing and re-assigning academic plans; data entry of evaluated transfer credit; provide record keeping for current and previous students’ enrollment and class schedules; fulfill requests for transcripts
- Assign academic advisors for students; review/re-assign advisors as necessary to maintain balanced loads and/or update assignments due to staff changes.
- Evaluate and apply transfer credit to students’ records and continuously update course equivalency database. Ensuring the Office is in compliance with receipt of student official transcripts.
- Submit data to the National Student Clearinghouse; verify enrollment and resolve discrepancies for enrollments reported to the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Conduct degree audits to ensure the completion of all graduation requirements for specific programs.
- Data Entry related to the semester course schedule; maintenance, input of faculty assignments and classroom assignments. Produce Exam schedules.
- Facilitates the collection of semester census and grade submission; process early warnings from faculty.
- Ensure the College’s compliance with New York State requirements for immunization documentation; notify all new students of required documentation; collect, record and maintain all immunization documentation for new students.
- Maintain calendars and reservations for classrooms, conference rooms, and communal spaces throughout campus.
- Input and track all FERPA release forms for students; enforce FERPA regulations, including appropriate reporting of student information to relatives, employers, and clinical sites.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in education, administration or related field is required; 2-4 years of experience working with a diverse student population in a higher education setting with direct experience working with computer-based integrated student databases also is preferred.
Experience and knowledge in registration processes and student registration issues along with an understanding of academic policies and procedures is a plus.
Job holder must have strong communication skills, both oral and written as well as exceptional interpersonal skills, including a customer-service focus, to collaboratively interact with students and College staff in interfacing departments. Incumbent must have the ability to work independently and comfortably in a fast-paced environment that requires multitasking and attention to detail. Incumbent must maintain confidentiality of student records.
Advanced competency in Windows operating environment using MS Office applications (Excel and Word), e-mail and internet programs is required. The job holder has the aptitude to learn and efficiently utilize the College’s data base system(s). Knowledge of Elluican Power Campus preferred.
Work Schedule Requirements: A regular full-time schedule is typically worked. Weekend and evening hours also are needed 3-4 times a year to assist with orientation / registration events, 5-6 times a year to provide services to weekend/evening students, annually during the commencement ceremony and occasionally to complete work assignments. Infrequently, travel for development purposes may require overnight stay(s).
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume’ to: email@example.com with Assistant Registrar in the subject line.
Maria College is a nonprofit, independent, coeducational institution which does not discriminate in its enrollment or employment practices for any reason including race, sex, color, national origin, creed, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local laws and ordinances. Information about the services, activities and facilities accessible to students or prospective students with disabilities regarding Title 504 may be obtained from Kim Noakes in Accessibility Services in Mercy Hall at (518) 861-2508; information about the services, activities and facilities accessible to employees or prospective employees with disabilities regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act may be obtained from Rosalyn Vazquez, Human Resources Manager at (518) 861-2580.