Maria’s psychology degree program is unique to what you might find elsewhere. It provides students a great deal of flexibility as one-third of the credits are electives! You may select seven (7) psychology elective courses and an additional 24 free elective credits, enabling you to transfer credits from another major or develop an area of specialization.
QUICK FACTS – What’s Unique About Our Program?
Our program focuses on the promotion of healthy thinking and behavior in addition to understanding abnormal behavior.
- Our curriculum specializes on the knowledge and skills necessary to increase personal strength and resilience, and to promote healthy behaviors for one’s well-being.
- Our dedicated faculty bring decades of academic and community experience to the classroom.
- Our graduates are prepared to help patients or handle illness, whether it’s helping them to follow medical advice, control their pain, or change poor health habits.
Many students enter this program right out of high school and live locally in the Capital Region, such as Albany and Schenectady High Schools. Maria College is great for students looking to live at home and commute to campus
We also have a large population of transfer students coming to Maria after two years at a community college or from other regional four-year colleges, such as HVCC, SCCC.
- Albany County Probation Department
- Catholic Charities
- Center for Disability Services
- Columbia County Adult Drug Treatment Court
- NYS Department of Correctional and Community Services
- NYS Department of Health
- The Spotted Zebra
- Healthy Psychology
- Mental Health Counseling
- Nutrition Science
- Public Health and Promotion
- School Psychology
- Social Welfare
- Health Educator
- Clinical Care Coordinator
- Mental Health and Addiction Counselor
- Probation Officer
- Public Health and Prevention educator
- School Counselor
- Social & Human Services
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS, 2019) projects that opportunities in psychology will continue to grow at a faster rate than the average for all occupations over the next decade 2016-2026. Employment will grow because of increased demand for psychological services in schools, hospitals, social services agencies, mental health centers, substance abuse treatment clinics, consulting firms and private companies.