Phi Theta Kappa is an international honor society of two-year colleges, and two-year academic programs offered by four-year colleges. It was founded in 1918 with more than three million members located in all 50 states and abroad. Phi Theta Kappa is recognized as the official honor society for community colleges by the American Association of Community Colleges. Phi Theta Kappa is also one of the largest collegiate honor societies worldwide.
The Beta Rho Kappa Chapter at Maria College (of the New York Region) was chartered in January 20, 2009. Since then, the College has inducted more than 170 members, with 44 new members inducted in November 2015. It is a non-profit organization of students at the College who have met the requirements for membership and have been accepted as members of the Society.
To be eligible for membership in Phi Theta Kappa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled at Maria College
- Completed a minimum of 12 credits at Maria College that can be applied to an Associate’s Degree
- Current Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher (not including transfer credits, remedial, or non-credit coursework)
Benefits of Membership
Phi Theta Kappa recognizes and honors outstanding academic achievement, with benefits including:
- The Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Membership Pin
- A Phi Theta Kappa Membership Certificate and ID Card
- Recognition during the Maria College Induction Ceremony
- The official Seal of Phi Theta Kappa placed on your college diploma
- Notation of membership on your college transcript
- Recognition by wearing Phi Theta Kappa Commencement Regalia during the Maria College Commencement Ceremony
- A Press Release announcing your academic achievement
- Unique opportunities to apply for scholarship opportunities from Phi Theta Kappa, partnering senior colleges, universities and foundations.
Invitation to Join Phi Theta Kappa
Upon meeting the eligibility requirements, Maria College students will be invited to join PTK. In the fall semester, a letter will be mailed to you, and an email will be sent to your Maria College email account. You will also be informed of the date for the induction ceremony.
Accepting the Invitation to Join
If you choose to join Phi Theta Kappa, you can do so online! The directions will be included in your invitation. There is a one-time membership fee of $80. The membership fee includes the Phi Theta Kappa International Membership fee of $60, the regional fee of $5, and the local fee of $15.
Distinguished Phi Theta Kappa Alumni
Fred Haise, Apollo 13 astronaut
Jim Lehrer, PBS News journalist
Wes Moore, Social advocate, best-selling author and television host
Mirta Ojito, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
H. Ross Perot, businessman and politician
Sela Ward, Emmy Award-winning actress
Trisha Yearwood, country musician